Tuesday, October 21, 2003

What's under the skirt?

It was a gruesome task, but necessary. We knelt beside the body of this latest victim and studied her for clues. Inspector Logan was quick to arrive and help in this endeavor. Aside from the missing organs and the notable lack of blood, we were only able to discover her name, Beatric Bump. As we started to move her to her final resting place, we heard a scream from down the street. We rushed off and found Kelios, lying in the street, stunned but alive. A quick search could not reveal the culprit of the attack. There was some talk that she had slipped and fallen from the rooftops, but I know my cousin. She would not be foolish enough to clamber over slick rooftops in the dark. No, clearly the fiend had recognized us as worthy foes and was trying to dissuade us from continuing our investigation. Inspector Logan was recognizing our potential as well. He was quick to promote me to the night watch, although I fear that I may once again be too slow to stop this fiend. Some of the townsfolk seemed undisturbed by the killings; our good innkeeper has not stopped his nightly visits to the tavern and his wife has decided to maintain her loudly voiced opinions on this activity. It may be time to find another inn...or to find something to stuff within ones ears.

The day passed quickly for us. Peotr lost himself in a commune with nature, while Bernard infiltrated the vigilance committee. Hopefully he will be able to spur these men into some action. I was determined to attend the funeral of the poor ladies, but bad directions ended me at the funeral of one Winston. He seemed a good man, and the mistake did gather a bit of information. The twin sons were also in attendance and although they were dressed exactly the same, they held their canes in different hands. Ahh, the strain of the killings is getting to me. For now I am suspecting innocence tavern owners of stalking the streets at midnight.

As night approached I returned to the guard house and was issued my uniform. Although I was grateful for the loan of equipment and the chance to do some good, I must say that their lack of maintenance skills on their equipment is appalling. The leather coat, although warm, constricted my movements too much and the sword they gave me looked as if it had been used when the last murders occurred.

I soon found myself patrolling the streets, with my brave companions in tow. It was getting close to the midnight hour when we heard a scream and saw a woman stumbling towards us through the mists. We rushed to her aid and turned the corner to spy the coachman lying in wait. But something did not seem right and it was quickly apparent that this was a trap laid for us. The woman drove a dagger into Bernard as the coachman jumped into the fray and started attacking us. Once again, this villain proved a fearsome foe as Peotr was stabbed many a time and looked on the verge of death. We were finally victorious. The woman tried to escape by climbing the walls and was easily cut down by our weapons. And then we received a mighty surprise. As the body fell to the ground, it transformed into a black and gray, sexless form. Black blood oozed from the wounds. The creature had no hair or nails and strange, pointed ears. We had just encountered a creature of legend, we had slain a changeling. The coachman was not was easy to capture. He leapt up the wall and onto the rooftops. Mystical energy poured forth from Peotr and Bernard, chasing him into the darkness. Kelios and myself gave chase, leaping from rooftop to rooftop before I stumbled and allowed the evil one to escape.

We traveled back to our companions and started to examine the body. Realizing the find we had, I wrapped the body in my jacket and we started off towards the guardhouse. We had barely taken 2 steps when the clock started to chime the midnight hour. I passed the body to my companions and listened intently for the scream I hoped would never come. As the last bell chimed I heard the scream far off and rushed towards it, hoping that this one would be different than the last. Kelios was following close on my heels. As we neared the spot we heard a second scream and saw someone coming towards us from the fog. We caught a young lady, whose face was smeared with blood. She was sobbing uncontrollably and could barely talk. We gathered that she had seen the body and had been deeply effected by it. Kelios went to investigate while I tried to comfort the distraught lady. A few moments latter I heard Kelios cry for help. I used the whistle the guards had provided to try and summon some help and then passed the whistle to the lady, instructing her to continue blowing on it until a guardsman arrived. I ran through the fog looking for Kelios. I was barely able to make out her shape as she struggled in combat with the killer. I rushed forward and gave the villain a sound thrashing, but he was too quick for us and ran off into the night again. We had failed to save the ladies life, but we had a witness. Perhaps the tables had turned to our favor.

-------------------------------------
The body was heavy and smelled funny, or perhaps that was Peotr. 'Well, at least hauling bodies is better than being turned into one', mussed Bernard and he hoisted the creatures feet and started off into the fog. "I think ya got sometin for me dere', came a voice from the fog. A scruffy old man stepped closer to Bernard and Peotr. 'I'll be taking that now'. Bernard drew his blade and stepped back, as the strange man stepped closer and closer. The man lifted the body and hoisted it over his shoulder without any sign of effort. He turned his back and started into the night. Bernards arm flashed and his cane sailed through the air and connected the with the man's back. A growl emanated from the man as he started to grow in the fog. He quickly grew to twice his size and the growl deepened. The creature turned and stepped towards Bernard and Peotr. Fangs glistened in the moonlight and sharp claws scraped along the cobble stones. Bernard and Peotr turned and fled into the night.

'I'll be seein' ya around, govner' was all that pursued them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home